Sales tax is included in the listed prices in Taipei City.
Tipping is not customary in Taipei, but some hotels and restaurants automatically add a 10% service fee to the bill. Otherwise there are no hard and fast rules. Of course you can always make someone happy with a small reward for good service.
VAT Refund Requirements:
- Foreign travelers holding non-ROC passports, ROC passports without registered household, or a re-entry permit.
- Foreign travelers who make purchases of at least NT$3,000 on the same day from the same Tax Refund Shopping (TRS)-posted store and who take the purchased goods out of the country with them within 30 days of purchase.
Where to Claim Your Refund:
At the "Foreign Passenger VAT Refund Service Counter" at the airport or seaport of departure.
|Taoyuan International Airport Terminal 1||Customs Service Counter at the F1 departure lobby|
|Taoyuan International Airport Terminal 2||Customs Service Counter at the F3 departure lobby|
|Keelung Harbor||East Wharf No. 2 and West Wharf No. 2|
|Taichung Airport||Customs Service Counter at the Visitor Center|
|Taichung Harbor||Customs Service Counter at the Visitor Center|
|Hualien Harbor Bureau||F1 Visitor Center|
|Hualien Airport||F1 Visitor Center|
|Kaohsiung International Airport||Customs Service Counter at the 3F Visitor Center|
|Kaohsiung Harbor||3F Passenger Terminal Building|
Refund Application Procedures:
- Present Application Form for VAT Refund, passport or other designated travel document, purchased goods to be taken out of the country, and original copy of uniform invoice to the customs officer.
- After verification, the customs officer will issue a "VAT Refund Assessment Certificate."
- Present the "VAT Refund Assessment Certificate" to the designated bank at the airport or seaport for issuance of refund due.